1. Theft is governed under section 378 of the Malaysian Penal Code whereas punishment is governed under section 379.
2. Elements of theft include the intention to take any movable property dishonestly out of the possession of any person without consent.
3. Punishment includes imprisonment for a term which may extend to 7 years or with fine, or both.
4. Section 379A deals with punishment for theft of a motor vehicle – he or she shall be punished with imprisonment for a term not less than 1 year or not more than 7 years and shall also be liable to fine.
5. Under S.379A any part of a motor vehicle such as tyre, accessory or equipment are included.